April 5, 2011

Shaved Asparagus Pizza with Fresh Lemon


So...I guess some people probably look for flowers as a sign of spring. Or maybe baby birds. Or pink trees. I look for asparagus. When I see it popping up in grocery stores, I get happy. I go home and take my flip flops out from under my bed. I shave my legs. I shave asparagus and put it on pizza.
It's light yet luscious. It's fresh. It's crisp. It's got zing and zest and tons of flavor. It's pretty. Happy spring.

Shaved Asparagus Pizza with Fresh Lemon
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen


1 (1 pound) pizza crust dough (I highly recommend this one)
white sauce (see recipe below)
1/2 pound fresh asparagus
1 teaspoon olive oil
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
1 lemon

White Sauce
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 clove garlic
3/4 cup cream
salt and pepper
1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese


Prepare the asparagus by individually placing them against a cutting board and using a vegetable peeler to create long shavings of asparagus. (I had a little bit left from each piece of asparagus. Just get the most you can and if you want to save the rest, chop it up and freeze it for soup or another recipe). Put all of the shavings in a bowl with the olive oil and a generous grind of salt and pepper and toss until evenly coated. Set aside.


To make the white sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan.
Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until it becomes lightly browned and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add the flour and whisk or stir constantly for another minute or so.
Whisk in the cream and let cook until the mixture gets thick, stirring very often.
Stir in the parmesan cheese until it melts and salt and pepper to taste.

Meanwhile, prebake the crust according to recipe directions, just until it becomes slightly firm.
Remove from the oven and spread with a thin layer of white sauce.
Top with mozzarella cheese, then pile on the shaved asparagus until it covers the pizza.
Bake (according to dough recipe) until crust is golden, cheese is melted and asparagus is just barely starting to brown in some places.
Remove from the oven.
Serve each piece with a slice of fresh lemon for squeezing over the top.

Notes:
-This is delicious. To die for. Beautiful. Fresh. Crisp. Green. Springy. Happy. You should probably make it right away. But not today, because the crust has to ferment in the fridge overnight. So definitely tomorrow, then.
-Definitely do the lemon slice, too. I made this and didn't have a lemon so I ate it without. It was good. Then I went to the store and got a lemon while there was still some pizza leftover in my fridge. It was much better than good. (See above note).

More pizza: Italian Pizza with Spinach, Ricotta Cheese and Balsamic Vinegar
More asparagus: Asparagus and Fettuccine with Parmesan, Lemon and Dill

4 comments:

Erin said...

OMH this looks sooo fantastic, and you are super amazing at photography.

Foodhogger said...

hahaah, this made me laugh. Great recipe - I will try this. I love asparagus too...happy Spring!

Tim said...

I ate this... and cried when it was gone.

Teri423 said...

I would cry too!

Post a Comment