June 27, 2011

Maple Oatmeal Bread


I made a list of 24 things.
It's kind of random. 
Except for the numbers and the fact that I'm going to do all of the things on it. 
It has things like running and riding my bike. Planning my life. Reading books and getting stuff done.  Baking and trying new food. Playing the piano and taking more photos. Throwing parties and making art and stuff like that. You know, hanging out and going places and doing nice things for people.
You already know about #14. I'm baking 14 different kinds of bread and giving them away. This is loaf #5. I gave it to our bffs. They liked it. Probably because it's moist and maple-y and sweet and oat-y all at the same time.

p.s. This loaf is featured on the yeast spotting website!


Maple Oatmeal Bread
Slightly Adapted from King Arthur Flour

For the Dough:

3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons hot water
3/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon maple extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/4 teaspoon yeast

For the Topping:

2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats

In a large bowl, combine the hot water, oats, maple syrup, butter, salt, maple extract and cinnamon.
Add the flours and yeast and stir until a rough dough forms.
Knead on a floured counter top (or using the dough hook on a stand mixer) until a springy, elastic and cohesive dough has formed, roughly 7-10 minutes.
Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until double, about 1 hour.

Remove the dough from the bowl, gently degas it and form it into an 8 inch log.
Place it into a greased 8 1/2 x 5 inch loaf pan, cover and let proof for 1 hour.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the internal temperature is about 190 degrees.
Let cool on a wire rack.
While the dough is cooling, make the topping by combining the melted butter and brown sugar. Drizzle this over the warm bread and sprinkle with the oats.


Notes:

-You can totally leave the glaze off if you want a healthier bread or one that you could use for sandwiches. I was also thinking about adding it before baking so that it could sink in and the oats could get toasty. If you try it that way let me know how it goes.
-When I saw cinnamon on the ingredient list I was really, really tempted to leave it out. Not because I don't love cinnamon, because I so do. I just wanted this to be a maple bread, and I was afraid the cinnamon would try to steal the show. But it didn't. It turned out to be a subtle compliment to the maple.
-The original recipe said to tent the bread with tinfoil after about 15 minutes of baking to prevent browning. I kept checking mine but I never thought it got brown enough to tent. Proceed with caution just in case.

0 comments:

Post a Comment